Thursday, November 20, 2008

Pork Roll......

I'm a little surprised that more people don't know about Pork Roll in this area of the country. It seems to me (and my father as well) that it would be the perfect southern food. You can cook it just about any way you want and each way it tastes great.

For those that aren't in the know, Pork Roll is a northern food, mainly restricted it seems to New Jersey and parts of Pennsylvania. According to the all powerful Wikipedia (sarcasm abounds) Pork Roll, otherwise known as Taylor Ham, was created by one John Taylor of Trenton, New Jersey. It is referred to as Pork Roll because of the "roll" or tube-like sack it comes traditionally packaged in.

My family, being from New Jersey originally, all love this stuff. When we get to have it we almost fight each other for it. I'll admit, it's not exactly the healthiest of foods, but sometimes the best foods aren't that healthy at all.

The typical way of preparing Pork Roll, at least in my family, is frying in a frying pan. If you bought the actual "roll" like my family usually does, you want to slice it pretty thick, at least 3/4 of an inch (I usually slice it thicker then that myself). Once done, just throw it in the frying pan and let it sizzle away. Flip it a few times and after a few minutes once it is throughly cooked throw it on a hamburger bun and serve. Tasty tasty tasty.

A hint: If you have more than one frying pan try to reserve one pan for your pork roll and DON'T CLEAN IT. If you can let the grease build up on the frying pan the meat will have a better flavor. But, if your health consciouses, I wouldn't even eat the stuff.

Anyway, I'm going to go eat my supper, which just happens to be some boxed Pork Roll I found today at Harris Teeter in Shelby. It ain't great, but it is DEFIANTLY Pork Roll.

5 comments:

Jon Jimison said...

Looks like Spam

Emily Killian said...

But it smells like something much worse than Spam when it cooks. I don't know what time Adam cooked it at the house, but when I got home this evening, it smelled heinous.

And what Adam left out of his story is that I found it for him at the grocery store last week.

I find the nasty stuff and endure the smell. I deserve some sort of roommate award.

As a sidenote, the "word verification" google generated for me was the word rancid. Even they know that smell...

Adam Fenwick said...

Well geez, everyone's got an opinion. I dare either of you to go find some of this and eat it.

NC+NJ said...

My husband LOVES Taylor Ham. He is from New Jersey originally. Whenever we visit up North it is a requirement that we pick up a roll of Taylor Ham. I am Cleveland County born and raised but I admit I love it too. My favorite way to eat it is fried and served with a side of mac and cheese. I am still working on getting him to develop an appreciation for our local favorite, Livermush!

Unknown said...

The "writing" portion of a copy editor's job generally consists mainly of headlines ("heds") and captions (or "cutlines").


Copy editing services