Friday, September 19, 2008

Oh my its been awhile

Boy has it really been more than a week since I last posted on here? Seems like a lot less (or, depending on who you are, a lot more). I've been amazingly busy since my last post with my regular copy editing duties, including laying out the sports section a couple nights a week in addition to my regular role of news copy editor. On top of that I am also designing the syndicated NASCAR page that appears every week in The Star with content produced by Freedom Communications resident NASCAR writer, Monte Dutton.

Anyway, I apologize for not posting my regular NASCAR stories on here. With my additional duties on the copy desk in addition to my work writing the historical racing stories recently I haven't had much time to do anything, with the exception of sleep of course. But, life goes on.

I wanted to note that I've been having a blast writing my historical racing stories. The things I've heard and the stories that have been passed on to me have been amazing and I would never trade the experience for anything. I have even gotten to do a phone interview with former Daytona 500 winner Cotton Owens (he commented on Stick Elliott and the Cleveland County Fairgrounds).

With any luck the stories will keep flowing out of me in the coming weeks. I've already got the next story written and prepared. I'd tell you what it's about but I don't want to ruin the surprise.

I would like to continue to remind you, the readers of The Star, to keep submitting information to me about things you'd like to hear me write about. Want to hear about an old driver from the '60s? Let me know! Do you have old stories or old photographs floating around? Let me know! These stories will keep coming as long as I have great people here in Cleveland County who are willing to pass on their stories to me.

Also, i'm seeking information on the following for possible stories. If you or anyone you know can help me out, that would be great:
Herb Thomas and his career ending crash at the Cleveland County Fairgrounds
Doug Cooper, Gastonia native, former NASCAR Rookie of the Year in 1964

Thanks folks and keep on reading!

No comments: