Monday, September 29, 2008

Flat Rock Music Festival

It's not often that I take time off, much less time to go do something I've been looking forward to for some time. For the last two years my parents have been pestering me to attend a music festival with them. Finally, I decided that since I have this paid vacation just collecting dust, I'd best go ahead and use it. With that, I decided I'd join my parents at this years Flat Rock Music Festival in Flat Rock, N.C. Needless to say I was so happy I attended.

The weekend started Friday with everyone waking up early and preparing my parents RV for the trip. When I say RV I mean an old old RV. I don't remember right off what year the RV is, but it's from the early 1970s, I know that much.

My transporation/bed for the weekend. Stylish huh?

We had to stop at three gas stations just to get enough gas to make it to Flat Rock. But once we got fuel and made a few other stops we hit the road to Flat Rock. Of course, once we got there, we were met with the stark realization that Friday was probably going to be a wash. Of course, for those that don't remember, much of the region was met with much needed rain on Friday. Of course, it had to rain on the first day of my mini vacation. Go figure. Oh, I best not forget that in order to get to the festival you had to go ALL THE WAY UP A MOUNTAIN. We parked in a field at the bottom of the mountain and in order to get up to the festival you had to either walk a very bad looking trail (well, it wasn't that bad once it was dryish) or take a shuttle van up to the top (which was one heck of a wild ride in the wet weather on dirt roads).

This is the view from across the pond at the top of the mountain. All the way over there is the main festival stage.

A zoomed in few of the festival grounds.

While Friday was a total wash, Saturday was NOT! I got to see all the bands I was looking forward to from the get go, including The SteelDrivers, Skinny Legs and All, Sonny Landreth and WSNB. I admit my musical taste is a bit out there, so I don't honestly expect many that read this to know who these groups are. Here are a few photos from those sets:

The SteelDrivers

Skinny Legs and All





Sonny Landreth




WSNB




No comments: