Sunday, August 10, 2008

Looking for help finding racing's past

Some who read this blog know that recently I wrote a story about NASCAR racing that was held at the Cleveland County Fairgrounds in the 50's and 60's. Well that article and the interest it spawned has given me the inspiration to do further research into the history of racing in Cleveland County and the drivers from the County and surrounding areas.

But in order for me to do that I need your help.

I can make all the phone calls and find all the old photos and stories that I want, but what I need is to speak to people who know about the history of racing in Cleveland County and the surrounding area. For example...

I know Stick Elliott, a former NASCAR driver and regional star, was from Shelby. I'm looking for anyone that might know something about Mr. Elliott and his history in NASCAR or just his racing career in general.

I know Doug Cooper, a former NASCAR Grand National Rookie of the Year in 1964, was from Gastonia. I can find little to no information on Mr. Cooper, save the picture above where he appears in car No. 60 at Daytona International Speedway. Any information on him would be very helpful.

I'm looking to speak with any old drivers from the 50's or 60's. I've spoken to two or three, some receptive of the idea of talking about their racing career's, some not so much. The more drivers I can speak to from that era the more stories i'll be able to pass on to the next generation.

I'm not trying to break any new ground here. I'm sure there are those out there who have done something like this before. What i'm trying to do is find out about the history of racing in Cleveland County and at the same time put pen to paper and let the people of Cleveland County read about exactly what i'm hearing and seeing.

If you know anyone, have any old newspaper clippings, or are interested in speaking to me about this project yourself, please feel free to contact me by email at adamfenwick@shelbystar.com.

No comments: