Tuesday, July 1, 2008

DVD Review: The Benefit Concert Vol. 8

I'm a big music fan.  When I say big, I mean BIG.  I have over 250 CD's worth of music, hours upon hours worth of stuff to keep me listening for days on end.  So when I get something new, naturally I sit down and listen to it for a day or two or three until I'm either very happy with a record or totally disgusted.  Both have been known to happen.

But yesterday I got something in the mail i've been looking forward to for awhile.  What is that might you ask?  That would be Warren Haynes Presents The Benefit Concert Volume 8.  Why is this particular item so special?  Well, first of all, its actually a DVD.  Secondly, I was actually AT this show.  

For those that don't know, Asheville native Warren Haynes holds the Warren Haynes Christmas Jam every year in Asheville to benefit Habitat For Humanity.  My father, my brothers and I made a point for several years to attend the Christmas Jam, it was our father/son outing every year.  My first Christmas Jam was in 2001, a show headlined by Warren Haynes' band Gov't Mule, Phil Lesh & Friends, Blues Traveler and Drivin' & Cryin'.  I also attended the 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2006 editions.  

This DVD is of the 2006 edition, featuring the Taj Mahal Trio, The John Popper Project, Marty Stuart & His Fabulous Superlatives, The New Orleans Social Club, Dave Matthews and Gov't Mule.  Needless to say watching this DVD brings back a lot of good memories.  

The first thing that I really remembered wasn't actually from the Christmas Jam, it was from the Pre-Jam the night before in The Orange Peel.  It's sort of a dress rehearsal for the Christmas Jam that is held every year in the Orange Peel for a select group of guests.  In 2006 I managed to get on the guest list for that show and, along with my father, attended.  Marty Stuart was on stage with his band when he did something different.  He picked up his mandolin and just started ripping it up, playing whatever his fingers could play.  I remembered it instantly when I saw it on the DVD and went straight to it.

My memory of the 3 or 4 minute jam was pretty much dead on, it was a great little jam session.  Then the DVD transitioned seamlessly into the next night with Marty Stuart and his band (The Fabulous Superlatives) going into a song called "Streamline."  The rest of Marty's set was great as well, with the band finishing with covers of "Wait Til The Morning" and The Band's "The Shape I'm In."  

But my favorite set of the night belonged to the New Orleans Social Club.  They really surprised me when they came on stage and just handed out a great jamming session of songs that got even the sleepiest member of the audience up and swinging.  They even brought out Taylor Hicks, yes, American Idol's Taylor Hicks.  I had no idea, but Hicks is apparently a KILLER harmonica player.  He joined the band on a cover of John Fogerty's "Fortunate Son" and wailed on the harmonica.  Great set. 

The rest of the show wasn't bad, Dave Matthews joined Gov't Mule on a cover of Neil Young's "Cortez The Killer" and most of the musicians joined Gov't Mule on stage for the finale, "I Shall Be Released" (another song from The Band).  

All in all it was a great show live and it transitioned well onto DVD.  If you are a fan of any of these bands i'd pick this DVD up ASAP.  It's well worth the purchase.  

Favorite Songs: 
1. I Shall Be Released by Gov't Mule with Marty Stuart, Kevn Kinney, Taylor Hicks, Mike Barnes, Brendan Bayliss, Mickey Raphael & Robert Kearns
2. The Shape I'm In by Marty Stuart & His Fabulous Superlatives with Warren Haynes & Danny Louis
3. Fortunate Son by The New Orleans Social Club with Warren Haynes, Taylor Hicks & Branford Marsalis

19 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't let a few spit-filled moments fool you. Taylor Hicks is still the same old loser he always was.

soulthing said...

Awesome! I have my DVD on order and I'm anxiously awaiting it! Taylor is one of the best harmonica players in the country in my opinion. Thanks for the review.

mikki said...

Hey don't mind the few Taylor haters that come here. Honestly you will probably get a bunch of crap from people like musicofthenight. Jealousy rears it's ugly head. Glad you got to hear Taylor. He is an awesome harp player with a beautiful voice.

mikki said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sportscopy said...

My favs: I shall be released and Can't you see. I seem to recall that jam went over 10 minutes. The entire concert is incredible and for a great cause. Got to see Gov't Mule again last month at the BamaJam. They were expecting 30k but ended up with more than 80k by the time ZZ was up on stage.

Anonymous said...

Good Times!!!! Good Times!!! That was a great show. Can't wait until I get my DVD. That was an awesome night.

hickifino said...

Can't wait to receive my copy! Love the jam, so many outstanding performers + chance to show the versatility of Dave Matthews and Taylor Hicks. Cool stuff!

aragall said...

How fortunate we are that Mr. Fenwick chose to believe his own ears and not the ramblings of some nitwit who searches out Taylor Hicks articles all over the net so he can be a Taylor bully.

Anyway, I can't wait to get this DVD. I've watched clips of the concert over and over again on the net. My favorite is "I Shall Be Released," but I'm also very fond of "Fortunate Son."

Unknown said...

I see that my honest little comment drew out a swarm of locusts with nothing better to do than fight windmills. I'll say it again, Taylor Hicks is still the same old loser. Can't say it often enough, apparently, for the freaks.

paulatroller said...

Awesome review. Taylor always enjoys performing for charities. It shines through in his music.
musicofthenight, I understand you are NOT a music critic...just a dim light buld in the flashbulb of life.

Bad Little Doggie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
soulthing said...

Don't forget Taylor will be featured in the harmonica documentary "Pocket Full of Soul". Check out the details here: www.pocketfullofsoulmovie.com.

tishlp said...

I enjoyed reading your review of the concert. It was interesting to read about your history with the X-Mas Jam Benefit concerts. I have the 2 CD set from the concert and just ordered the DVD. It's good to know that the DVD is a good representation of the actual concert.

timewarpnut said...

Thanks for the suggestion about this DVD. I'll be ordering it today. Sounds like a lot of great performers joined in!

Harmonyhouse said...

I read a good comment the other day when somebody mentioned the name of Taylor Hicks briefly in an article about other (real) musicians. It said it was like discussing McDonald's in an article about fine cuisine. That pretty much sums it up for me.

bertha said...

Mikki, you got that right. I bet that musicofternght person is upset cause their favorite singer doesn't get to drop out of an ice cream cone every night. I bet they aren't even selling 20 copies of their CD, which is a major accomplishment. Now before you haters go denying that Taylor's still selling that many, then you better just think again, cause I'm the one bying them every week, so I do know what I'm talking about.

Margaret said...

Do you really want to know the reason for the chrolls and trolls? It's because the soul patrol were such major assholes on the AI boards. Most of us don't hate Taylor, but we hate the soul patrol more. Maybe you shouldn't have been so smug two years ago. it's fun to pour salt into the wounds! Paybacks a bitch y'all!

paulatroller said...

margaret dont you EVER get tired of this. Are you truly this lonley?
After 2 years cant you just celebrate life and all that is good in it...Or is that whats missing??? Nothing good in it.
Are you so afraid David Cook will outsell Daughtry that you all are hanging on to your hatred??

Harmonyhouse said...

paulatroller, aren't you embarrassed that your name says exactly what you are? Give it up. Taylor Hicks is not going to give you the time of day. You represent everything he hates in a fan.